Monday, September 8, 2008

The Importance of Being There

I finally saw Being There the other night-- great movie, although the masturbation scene was embarrassing and overdone. The highlight, for me, was the disco remix of Also Sprach Zarathustra which plays as Chance walks down the street. When I rented the movie, I was surpised that the girl at the counter hadn't heard of it, as she had previously told me she was a big fan of Easy Rider and old movies in general. Another store employee had seen it, however, and said it was a very good "film with a moral." But is it, and if so, what is that moral? For example if you look at the imdb comments (I know you're not really supposed to do that, but I get a kick out of it sometimes) it seems pretty clear that people generally fall into one of two camps: they either treat it as a Forrest Gump / Rain Man type triumph of the human spirit (I think this may have been what the video store guy had in mind, as he said something i didn't hear that made the girl ask "Oh, like he's kind of autistic?") or an equally simplistic but opposite i.e. cynical parable about how "In our age of TV sound bites, a COMPLETE IDIOT can become President!"
Both of which seem to me not quite right, although I think the latter is considerably closer to the mark.
On the other hand, in a "diavlog" on my favorite website, www.bloggingheads.tv, Ann Althouse once compared the Dalai Lama, when he made what she thought were some simplistic comments about the nature of desire, to Chance. And there is perhaps something Buddha-like (in the way that "all dharmas should be regarded as dreams"), and in that sense Gump-like, and not idiotic at all, about Chance.
The Polish title, by the way, "Wystarczy Być," means "It's Enough to Be," or "Being is Enough," which would appear to give the moral as something like Woody Allen's "90% of success is just showing up."
Interesting to compare Being There with The Omen-- two paranoid 70s scenarios with an innocent/empty non-hero who at the end is just about ready to rule the world.

No comments: